Thursday, May 17, 2012

Baked Bean Blessings--Frugal Hospitality

How some cans of beans blessed 16 people.

I found this recipe for baked beans that my family just loves.  It is easy and economical and makes a bunch.  So when a pitch-in for Teacher Appreciation Lunch came around, I signed up to bring beans.

At Kroger, I bought double of everything so I could make a batch for my own family at the same time.


  • 2 cans of Chili Hot Beans--.65 each= $1.30
  • 2 cans Campbells Pork and Beans--.90 each (ish,  could be a bit less)=$1.80
  • 2 cans Kroger Pork and Beans--.64 each=$1.28
  • Enough brown sugar for 3 cups--probably $1
  • 1 bottle ketchup--$1.50
  • 1 bottle bbq sauce--$1.00 (I always get whatever is on sale cheapest)
  • Total $7.88

Plus foil pans so that no one has to wash and reuse dishes:
  • Odd Cake Size Pan Almost A 9x13 But Not Really--$1.99 for a 3 pk at Kroger, I used 2 of them.
  • Square Cake Pans--$1.49 at Kroger

  • Total with Foil Pans Included: $11.36


How did these beans end up blessing 16 people??

Well the odd not-really-9x13-pan was too big for one full recipe of beans.  So I made the two odd shaped pans and then to keep them from overflowing was able to fill up the small cake pan and a smaller pyrex bowl with the beans.

That leaves me with 4 containers of beans.

  • 1 larger one for the school.  There are 40 employees and I conservatively guess that 10 of them will get beans.
  • 1 larger pan and the small pan for dinner and lunches for my family of 4.
  • The small pyrex bowl sent to my mom and dad, that is 2 more people.

Total Number of People Getting A Bean Blessing: 16+
Total cost per person based on $11.36 total and 16 people: 71 cents
Total cost per person if you didn't use the foil pans: 49 cents

If you are looking for a way to bring some encouragement and blessing to someone, these beans will do the trick!

Wait, you want the recipe for them?  Well, okay.  I'll share.  But only if you promise to share your beans with someone else soon!


linked at Serenity Now


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to have you here at the Zucchini Summer Blog! :)